Canine transcervical insemination: history and technique
Artificial insemination in the dog was first described nearly 250 years ago. Until the 1970s, the process remained predominantly in depositing semen in the cranial vagina. Initially, surgery was required to successfully deposit frozen–thawed semen in uterus. However, societal demands to eliminate the need for general anesthesia and surgery for breeding have led to development of reliable and successful transcervical insemination procedures. Common barriers to perform successful transcervical inseminations include equipment expense and developing skills. In addition to practice, adopting suggestions provided by the author will improve practitioner’s success.
2. Bowen JM: Artificial insemination in the horse. Equine Vet J 1969;1:98–110. doi: 10.1111/j.2042-3306.1969.tb03355.x
3. Fielden ED: Artificial insemination in the dog. N Z Vet J 1971;19:178–184. doi: 10.1080/00480169.1971.33962
4. Given W: The 411 on frozen semen. Canine Chronicle 2017; 42(8):134–138.
5. Leonard EP: Dogs. In: Perry E, ed. The artificial insemination of farm animals. 4th ed. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press; 1968, p. 310.
6. Silva LD, Onclin K, Snaps F, et al: Laparoscopic intrauterine insemination in the bitch. Theriogenology 43;1995:615–623. doi: 10.1016/0093-691X(94)00067-5
7. Mason SJ: Current review of artificial insemination in dogs. Vet Clin N Am Small Anim Pract 2018;48:567–580. doi: 10.1016/j.cvsm.2018.02.005
8. Mason SJ, Rous NR: Comparison of endoscopic-assisted transcervical and laparotomy insemination with frozen-thawed dog semen: a retrospective clinical study. Theriogenology 2014;82:844–850. doi: 10.1016/j.theriogenology.2014.06.014
9. Shariati E, Bakhtiari J, Khalaj A, et al: Comparison between two portal laparoscopy and open surgery for ovariectomy in dogs. Vet Res Forum 2014;5:219–223.
10. Davidson E, Moll H, Payton M: Comparison of laparoscopic ovariectomy and ovariohysterectomy in dogs. Vet Surg 2004;33:62–69. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-950X.2004.04003.x
11. Quartuccio M, Biondi V, Liotto L, et al: Legislative and ethical aspects of canine artificial insemination in the 21st century. Italian J Anim Sci 2020;19:630–643. doi: 10.1080/1828051X.2020.1775503
12. International Breeding Rules of the FCI (Federation Cynologique Internationale). [cited 2022 Jan 12]. Available from: http://www.fci.be/medias/ELE-REG-en-10990.pdf
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright of their work, with first publication rights granted to Clinical Theriogenology. Read more about copyright and licensing here.